Sunday, January 07, 2007

Coogee Beach


After a traditional Australian breakfast of bacon, 2 eggs, a fried tomatoe, toast, and barbacue sauce I got my things ready to head to Coogee Beach. Although it was overcast I had a new book to read so I knew the trip would be worthwhile.

I hopped on the #370 bus just a block from The Wedge, paid the $3.90 faire, and in 30 minutes I was transported to an awesome beach. Coogee is south of the city like Bondi, but is not as crowded. I grabbed a sandwhich for lunch and after watching an over in the cricket match I went to the beach. For those that have no idea, an over is every 6 bowls (pitches), these are the kinds of things you learn when the Ashes are being played during your trip.













The waves were massive! Look at the size of the people about to be swallowed by this wave. This picture was taken right in front of the lifeguard station where about 10 guards were watching and waiting to pull out the next victim of the Pacific Ocean. As I arrived, not kidding, they had just got someone settled into an ambulance. I don't know what happened to him/her but i'm sure some salt water was swallowed. In the picture the two guys with red and yellow swim caps are lifeguards in for a swim.


I decided to swim in a slightly calmer part of the surf, still between the yellow and red flags. The water was numbingly chilly. After a quick dip and while I could still feel my toes I was out of the water for a beach stroll. There was an ocean pool just off to the right side of the beach for those who prefer non-waving crashing swims and a nice covered area at the rear of the sand to still enjoy watching the surf out of the sun.

After about three hours at the beach, it started to rain so I took the bus back to Newtown and after some dinner I'm here typing up a post while enjoying a Cooper's Stout Ale. I expect Cara, Claire, and Whit will get home tonight around ten with some good stories from their Hat Tourney weekend.

I'lll end this post with a few more pictures of Coogee Beach. - Mike

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, skipping the tourney. Sounds like the beach bug has hit you hard. When you are in need of another book, pick up the surf book I think i told you about "In Search of Captain Zero."

Bummer about your pictures from the hike, but it could be worse. Imagine what it must have been like to be Capt. Cook or one of the first white dudes down there, trying to explain such a crazy, awesome place to the folks back home. How the heck would you explain a Kangaroo to someone without bringing one with you?